High Reliability Booster Erbium-Doped Fiber AmplifierGooch & Housego manufacture high-reliability Erbium-doped (EDFA) and Erbium/Ytterbium co-doped (EYDFA) fiber amplifier modules. These amplifiers operate in demanding thermal, vibration, and radiation environments.Offered as OEM modules, our fiber amplifiers can be controlled and monitored through an electrical interface, making them ideal for system integration into laser transmitters, including satellite laser communication terminals. Customized optical performance, enclosures, port configurations, and amplifier arrays in a single housing are available on request.
Fiber amplifiers are used widely in terrestrial telecommunications, and can be designed to enable transmission distances of more than 70 million kilometers (>0.5 AU) for deployment in future deep space probes. Our optical fiber amplifiers are designed and developed using G&H highest manufacturing standards within European Space Agency programs and contracts. The fiber amplifiers are fully tailored according to end-user and mission requirements for optical and electronic functionality, as well as mechanical housing customization.Our units rely on functional integration of G&H high-reliability passive and active components fabricated in-house, thereby achieving full visibility and control over the supply chain. G&H has a proven track record in the design and development of high-reliability photonic components used in ground-breaking US and EU space missions.Since 2010, our fused fiber-optic modules have been flying onboard ESA’s Earth Observation satellite called ‘SMOS’, which collects data on the Earth’s soil moisture and ocean salinity. This mission marks the first 1.55 μm fiber-optic technology ever deployed in mission critical parts of satellites. More recently, our optoelectronic and fused fiber-optic components were deployed on-board NASA’s LADEE satellite, in the frames of the Lunar Laser Communication Demonstration (LLCD). During this short mission, NASA demonstrated for the first time a high-speed laser communication link from the moon to Earth.Our optical amplifier product family consists of three lines, according to the function and power levels required.
- Mid-booster fiber amplifiers are designed to provide power levels from +16 dBm up to +20 dBm
- Pre-amplifiers with > 50 dBm small signal gain values
- High-power amplifiers ranging from +27 dBm up to +40 dBm, currently under development
Levels of integrationG&H fiber amplifiers are offered in different integration levels for versatile system integration in laser modems and terminals.
- Gain blocks offer direct access to optoelectronic components allowing for external control of laser diodes and photodiodes.
- EDFA modules also include necessary electronic circuitry to monitor and control the optical fiber amplifier operation.
- Digital or analog interfaces can be provided with tailored functions and control levels, depending on the system architecture.
- Engineering Models (EM)
- Engineering Qualification Model (EQM)
- Proto-Flight Model (PFM)
- Fully-qualified Flight models (FMs)
Applications of High Reliability Booster Erbium-Doped Fiber AmplifiersOptical inter-satellite links, satellite to ground laser communications, deep space probes.
|Product||Product Code||Wavelength||Power||Gain Flatness||Pigtail Type|